Leave vehicles at home, says director of Transportation Services

It has been said that Madison is a town where having a car is a handicap rather than a convenience, especially when downtown or on campus. It is not unusual to spend at least 10 minutes finding a parking spot and then walking half an hour to one’s final destination.

Consequently, it might be a surprise to some that University of Wisconsin’s Transportation Services manages more than 12,000 parking stalls and is working to create more.

Of those more than 12,000 spots, only 300 permits may be issued to students every year. Transportation Services issues most of these $400 permits to commuting students, but some are given to students with unique work schedules. All other parking spots are reserved for faculty and staff of UW.

Director of Transportation Services at UW Lance Lunsway recommended students leave vehicles at home and use buses and bike paths on campus.

UW Transportation Services also provides student services. The money from permit fees and tickets cycles back to services provided for students. Lunsway reiterated that the money made does not go outside of the department.

“Transportation Services generates its own revenue to pay for programs like SAFEride and SAFEwalk, building or updating bike paths and building projects to accommodate for more parking,” Lunsway said.

State employees on fixed incomes must pay at least $400 a year in order to park on campus. With many employees commuting from outlying communities without bus lines into Madison, it can be difficult for employees to take advantage of the free bus passes issued to all UW employees.

Transportation Services is now spearheading the construction of a 1,285-stall parking ramp near the Nielson tennis courts.

“Construction is a factor when it comes to parking,” Lunsway said. He said there are fewer available parking spots due on places around campus where parking lots used to be.

According to Lunsway, there are 1,000 fewer parking stalls this year than last year. “That’s normal,” Lunsway said, however. “The average range of parking spots is between 12,000 and 13,000.”

One new parking lot under consideration is located under the University Avenue biotechnology building, which is slated for completion next summer.

Lunsway said he supported a proposed light-rail system that would run from Middleton into downtown Madison and on to the far-east side of Madison.

“We’re very interested in alternative transportation,” Lunsway said. He added that Transportation Servicesis looking to increase hours on bus lines and build new bike paths.

A relief for students who have friends or family coming up for Badger football games this fall is that the lakeside Lot 60 will remain free for parking on game days, according to Patti Lex-Weber, who is in charge of special-events parking. Lot 60, a large parking lot near UW Hospital and Picnic Point, is normally a lot for permit holders only, except during other special events that allow parking there, such as the WIAA tennis tournament.