Islam study group to continue Sunday nights

A study group that explores the basics of Islam has changed its meeting time from Tuesday to Sunday nights at seven.

Yasmin Mogahed mediates a group interested in the beliefs and practices of Islam. Even though the group currently examines an introduction to the core beliefs of Islam, the next study session promises more in-depth interpretations. It will, however, maintain its forum for those new to the notions of Islam.

“[Students] didn’t need to attend the first session, but the continuing students will still be learning something new as well,” Mogahed said.

Among the issues Mogahed covered in her first six-week session were the core Islamic beliefs of one God, of pilgrimage and of prayer five times a day.

The group also related Islam to current events. Some of the issues addressed included the mistreatment of women and the malpractice of Islam in the Muslim world.

“Women being mistreated is not a part of Islam, and [neither are] things like women not driving in Saudi Arabia,” Mogahed said. “That is a result of culture and not Islam’s practices.”

Mogahed also said the religion of Islam gave women rights such as voting and property ownership 1,400 years ago ? things that Western countries only began to accept in the past hundred years.

She added that there are differences among Muslims as a result of human nature.

“There are divisions between Muslims, but that is because people are not perfect,” Mogahed said. “Because of that there will always be sects.”

Some of the more in-depth subjects that were touched on in the last session and will continue to be discussed in the next six week session are the philosophical questions of “Why are we here,” “What is the concept of life, death and afterlife” and “What are the true principles of Islam?”

The next session starts this Sunday. The location will be 1217 Humanities unless otherwise posted on the Today in the Union event sheet.