McCallum gets square with state

Former Gov. Scott McCallum will reimburse the state for the times he traveled by airplane and used a boat, both paid for with Wisconsin state funds.

The state of Wisconsin Ethics Board has fined McCallum more than $13,000 for shady dealings he engaged in as governor.

The board released documents Wednesday in which McCallum acknowledged using state-owned aircraft to return with his son from a soccer tournament and for a boat the younger McCallum used for the benefit of himself and his family. McCallum will reimburse the state $13,000 for the use of the airplane and $500 for the use of the boat.

The board’s director, Roth Judd, said in a statement that while McCallum’s penalties were the largest ever levied against one individual, the important part of the board’s investigation was disclosure of the incidents.

According to the statement, “The board felt the former governor McCallum’s acceptance of responsibility and the public release of the investigators’ findings were the most important elements of the matters’ resolution.”

The board also examined various unnecessary trips McCallum took, for which he had already been penalized more than $3,400.

In recently released state records, Gov. Jim Doyle is shown to have taken 15 trips on state-owned airplanes during his first three months in office, compared to 38 trips McCallum made during the same period. Five of Doyle’s trips were on one of three Pilatus planes, which Doyle harshly criticized McCallum during the 2002 gubernatorial campaign for purchasing at $3 million.