5 students die in OSU house fire

A 21st birthday party Saturday evening in a house near the Ohio State University campus in Columbus turned to flames in the early hours of the morning, resulting in the death of five college students.

Two of these students, Alan Schlessman, 21, and Kyle Raulin, 20, were OSU students and tenants of the house. Erin Demarco, 19, Andrea Dennis, 20, and Christine Wilson, 19, traveled from Ohio University at Athens for the celebration.

The blaze also left three OSU students hospitalized for smoke inhalation and another student, who has now been said to be recovering well, in critical condition. All five of the students who died did so from smoke inhalation.

Three firefighters were also hospitalized after they extinguished the fire.

According to police reports, the fire began around 4 a.m. in the 12-student home while the party was coming to an end. Ten to 20 people were still in the house when the fire began, and some appeared to be sleeping.

According to an OSU statement, nearly 35 students lost their homes and their possessions as a result of the fire, which affected three buildings on 17th Avenue.

“The university, the Red Cross and Undergraduate Student Government have stepped in with shelter, food, clothing, toiletries and met the immediate needs of the displaced students,” the release reads.

The cause of the fire is yet to be determined, and possibilities such as arson are still being considered. Officials called the fire “suspicious” because of the large number of deaths.

This tragedy has left members of both college communities grieving.

The three women from Ohio University were part of the Alpha Gamma Delta Zeta Chapter. Their sisters released a statement regarding the event to relive shared memories and express sorrow. They are in the process of preparing a memorial service.

“While each unique sister will be deeply missed, we will always keep their memories and spirits alive in our hearts.”

The university is also planning a memorial service for the two men who died in the blaze.

In a statement released after a news conference Sunday afternoon, OSU’s president, Karen A. Holbrook, said, “We are clearly a community in mourning.”

“Our hearts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the young people who lost their lives and to those who were injured,” Holbrook said. “We are doing everything in our power to provide support and comfort to those in need.”

Ohio University president Robert Glidden expressed remarks regarding the tragedy.

“This is a terrible tragedy, and our sympathy and thoughts and prayers go out to the parents and to the families of these young women, as well as to their friends on campus,” Glidden said.

Glidden also thanked OSU for the immediate action provided to the scene and all the help given in this time of emergency.

“This kind of tragedy could happen anywhere. We appreciate the assistance of Ohio State officials and the city of Columbus for their support and cooperation in the immediate aftermath of this tragedy.”