Mayor, council candidates make final campaing stops

The city candidates’ meeting and greeting skills are kicking into high gear for the election April 1, consolidating their support and urging people to vote.

Mayoral candidate Paul Soglin was a “busy bee” Monday, according to campaign manager Jane Richardson, meeting students on Library Mall as well as outside the University Hospital. She said he planned to exercise Monday night, because he had not had time for many weeks.

Mayoral candidate Dave Cieslewicz, however, will spend most of Tuesday exercising, as he pedals around town on a nearly 20 mile “Bike Tour.” His bike ride will include stops across Madison and end up at Library Mall, meeting students.

Richardson said Soglin’s only set plans include a visit to St. Mary’s Hospital, because he enjoyed meeting people at the University Hospital Monday.

“He will go wherever the spirit moves him,” Richardson said. “He could end up at Woodman’s, State Street or Home Depot.”

In the downtown District 8 City Council race, candidates Jeff Erlanger and Austin King are both making phone calls and visiting fraternities to present their platforms.

Erlanger said he will visit the Statesider and the Towers, and his campaign will spread throughout the campus Tuesday. King said there is a “flurry of crap” going on in his last push before the results come in, including phone calls and last-minute literature drop-offs.

“It is a very hectic time; I’ll be running around, finding where most of the people are and getting them to vote for me,” King said.

The West Side District 5 council candidates Jason Stephany and Robbie Webber plan to talk to students in the Lakeshore dorms Tuesday. Stephany said his staff would be making calls to remind students to vote, but Webber said her staff would not be making phone calls, because other campaign staffers would hassle her constituents enough.

Stephany said getting students to vote is key in his race.

“Last week I’ve hit the voters [with campaign information] 10 times,” he said. In the District 5 primary, 1,069 people voted. Even fewer voters turned out for the District 8 election, a total of 802.

To find out where to vote, plug in your address at the city of Madison website at www.ci.madison.wi.us/clerk/voter_query.cfm. Anyone who has lived in Madison at least 10 days can vote. To register at the polls, bring an I.D. and proof of residence, such as a piece of mail. Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.