Students give candidates the third degree at Union Wednesday night

Nearly 250 people, some enthusiastically holding signs and banners, attended Wednesday’s mayoral debate between mayoral candidates Dave Cieslewicz and Paul Soglin, held in the Main Lounge of Memorial Union. Although Cieslewicz arrived 15 minutes early, both candidates came fully prepared to answer six questions that were prepared by the University Contemporary Issues Committee.

During his opening statement, Cieslewecz thanked the audience for its involvement in the race and acknowledged his surprise to have made it through the first primary. He also emphasized his strong involvement in environmental causes by citing his founding of the environmental group One Thousand Friends of Wisconsin.

Soglin began by recalling his past work for the city, including the renovation of the State Street Mall and mass transit during his past terms as mayor. He also emphasized his belief that Madison is a “special city” because it is not only a state capital but also home to a major university.

The questions asked following the introductions encompassed a variety of student-sensitive issues including affordable housing, transportation, responsible drinking, landlord accountability, diversity and the relationship between the city government and students.

While both candidates agreed that a strong relationship between city government official and students is essential to creating policy that reflects student opinion, Cieslewicz said he would look into hiring a student liaison to work directly in the mayoral office.

Before expressing his opinions on inclusionary zoning, which would require developers to set aside 15 percent of new housing structures for affordable housing, Soglin noted that the ordinance would not have a substantial impact on students. He suggested that adding more university housing would help to increase affordable housing. Soglin supports voluntary inclusionary zoning.

Cieslewicz, who supports mandatory inclusionary zoning, believes that affordable housing is the most important issue the new mayor will have to deal with.

Both candidates expressed views that irresponsible drinking among students is unavoidable. Soglin suggested offering drink specials at earlier times to counteract the bar rush that occurs a few hours before bar time. Cieslewicz said he supports bans on drink specials but is eager to see the results of the comprehensive study that is currently being conducted to assess the effects of the drink special ban on binge-drinking.

The students who were able to squeeze their way through the crowded line and to the microphone asked questions about issues including tuition increases, the proposed construction of a power plant near the Lakeshore residence halls, how campaign contributions may affect future policy, and, again, inclusionary zoning. Both candidates agreed that an extension of the sales tax to include service purchases would be a good way to reduce the chance of future tuition hikes.

Support for both candidates was divided among those attending. Campus coordinators from each campaign were on-site handing out literature and were eager to speak with students.

Annie Hughes, campus coordinator for the Soglin campaign, said Madison is a better place because of Soglin’s past work.

“He knows that the fight to improve the city isn’t over. That’s why he’s getting involved again,” Hughes said. “He is so enthusiastic about his work. He truly understands the issues and is ready to listen.”

Eric Phillips, campus coordinator for the Cieslewicz campaign, said Cieslewicz is the most student-friendly candidate.

“He has the clearest vision for student issues,” Phillips said. “His plans are the most progressive, and he has the ability to bring students and residents together.”