Council mandates porch painting

An ordinance passed Tuesday by the City Council requires property owners to paint exterior structures constructed out of treated lumber, a decision that could bring more color to student porches, balconies and decks.

“It will go a long way to improving the aesthetics and the quality of life, at least downtown,” said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, who sponsored the ordinance.

Verveer said it is unfortunate that absentee landlords in student areas neglect unsightly porches and said he wants to improve the aesthetic of his district and all of downtown.

Verveer also said painting the treated wood would minimize health risks by covering up treatments that include the carcinogen arsenic.

According to Verveer, city building inspectors said they have seen this as a problem for years, and building inspectors said applying an additional finish would minimize maintenance concerns such as mold and mildew.

The ordinance mandates all exterior porches, balconies and decks facing the street be painted and corner properties to have structures on both sides painted. The ordinance also allows landlords to complete the additional finish up to 18 months after the structure is installed.

Ald. Steve Holtzman, District 19, said the Urban Design Commission spent three meetings discussing the issue and that it is essential to allow treated wood up to 18 months to dry so the paint can adhere properly.

The only opponent of the ordinance, Holtzman also said he received information that said it was not worth painting the treated lumber unless it was allowed to cure for at least 12 months.

“Practically speaking, this is something that will face ridicule down the road,” Holtzman said, referring to the original ordinance that did not allow landlords up to 18 months to paint their structures.

Ald. Ken Golden, District 10, said Holtzman focused on technical arguments after the rest of the council was already in agreement about the ordinance.