Colorado to implement higher-education voucher system

The University of Wisconsin System is one of many public university systems in the nation facing severe funding cuts in the face of state budget crunches. In response to these cuts, the state of Colorado is considering revamping its entire higher-education state subsidy program.

The Colorado state legislature heard a proposal Feb. 27 for a higher-education voucher system that would place state money in the hands of students instead of institutions. If the college voucher-system plan is accepted, Colorado would be the first state to apply this plan to higher-education funding.

Currently, the state of Colorado subsidizes 66 percent of the average cost of public-university tuition, which totals approximately $4,600 per student. Under the plan, this money would be put in a “college savings account” for every student who plans to attend a Colorado public university or community college.

Each student would have access to a total of $18,666 over four years of college for up to 140 credit hours. Up to $16,000 would be available for graduate students for up to 60 credit hours.

Supporters of the plan say it’s a way to increase financial flexibility of public universities as well as increase the number of Coloradoans who attend college.

“From what I know about it, the general program seems to be about supporting higher education,” UW political science professor John Witte said.

Under the plan, universities would be able to raise tuition, which is currently restricted by the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights.

Colorado’s colleges and universities are facing budget cuts exceeding $81 million and currently don’t have the ability to raise tuition to make up for the shortfalls. However, the college voucher program would allow colleges and universities the flexibility to increase tuition, thus increasing flexibility for program funding.

“If universities are not subject to the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights, they will be able to set their own tuition increases, which can be seen as a positive or negative depending on your point of view,” said Ken McConnellogue, vice president for university affairs at the University of Northern Colorado.

But, McConnellogue said the biggest advantage of the plan could be that more of Colorado’s high-school seniors may decide they can afford college, because they will see the plan as direct financial support from the state.

Although Colorado is ranked as one of the most educated states in the nation, it is ranked only 27th in the nation for the percentage of high-school seniors who continue on to college.

“This proposal doesn’t change the amount of money the state provides, but right now most people don’t know that the state subsidizes higher-education costs. This new program makes it apparent, which will hopefully send more students to college,” McConnellogue said.

The Colorado Student Association supports the concept of college vouchers, but some are concerned about the plan’s impact on students. Ryan McMaken, executive director of the Colorado Student Association, said he would like to see the number of subsidized credits increased from 140 to 150 and for an appeal process to be in place for students with special circumstances, such as adult and transfer students. He is also concerned about the possibilities of large tuition increases, which would put greater strain on students’ wallets.

“We don’t have any problem with the concept. Now it’s just down to technical amendments we feel need to be made before we fully support the program,” McMaken said.

Considering the college voucher plan for Wisconsin, Charles Hoslet, director of state relations for UW, said he is concerned the plan would create an air of competition within the public-university system.

“A system like this could possibly work here, but the most immediate downside is that it could create the situation where universities within the system could be vying for students,” Hoslet said. “This would go against our current goal to be a more cohesive university system.”

Although Wisconsin was a pioneer in the implementation of a K-12 voucher program in the mid-1990s, Hoslet said he doesn’t foresee the state applying a similar program to its higher-education system in the near future.

“It’s not a foreign idea, but it hasn’t been formally introduced for the Wisconsin university system,” Hoslet said. “However, we are willing to consider anything that saves money while still maintaining quality education, especially in the face of budget concerns.”