Film company issues warning to file-sharing students

Universal City Studios Inc. is targeting 127 University of Wisconsin network users for allegedly downloading and sharing movie files and violating federal copyright laws, according to Brian Rust, the Division of Information Technology’s communication manager.

The Universal City, Calif.-based movie studio sent warnings to UW equipped with a number of Internet Protocol numbers representing specific computer terminals. These numbers allow officials to find the exact user who may have illegally downloaded the material by tracking down the specific computer.

DoIt employees are currently in the process of tracking down these individuals via IP number to notify them of the situation.

“We are forwarding notices to the people with the specific IP addresses,” Rust said. The distribution and sale or offer to sell DVDs, compact discs or any other unauthorized copies of copyrighted materials is illegal, according to copyright law. Exceptions are made in cases for individuals with licenses or permission to distribute copied items.

In addition to copyright law, UW’s Appropriate Use Guidelines prohibit the downloading and sharing of music and video files on campus.

UW policy reads, “Persons may not use University IT resources to sell or solicit sales for any goods, services or contributions unless such use conforms to UW-Madison rules and regulations governing the use of university resources.”

In addition, Rust said Universal has similarly notified a number of other campuses. He said Universal’s complaints are against students, not the universities these students attend.

“This is an issue with individual students,” Rust said. He said that Universal will pursue action with students who continue to download and share copyrighted material.

Rust believes the majority of this downloading and sharing is taking place in the residence halls.

“Sharing movie files is the next step beyond sharing music files,” Rust said. Music files are often shared via services like KaZaA, Limewire, Morpheus, and many students download full-length movies before their official release dates.

According to a DoIt press release, “In the event the university receives a complaint about an identified student, faculty or staff member who has allegedly infringed upon the copyrighted work of another copyright holder, we investigate the complaint, notify the party and a supervisory agent.”

If the person involved is a student, the case is taken up by the Dean of Students office, and in the case of an accused faculty or staff member, an individual’s supervisor is in charge of handling the situation.

However, Rust said DoIT never suspected that something of this magnitude would happen but had assumed a small amount of downloading and sharing was occurring on campus, specifically in the residence halls.