Baldwin scores $2 million for State Street

The federal government recently gave the State Street Redesign Project a grant of $2 million, a relief for a city budget experiencing hard times.

Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wisconsin, secured the funds under Congress’s 2003 budget-appropriations bill.

Baldwin’s press secretary Jonathan Beeton said the budget bill should have been approved in September, but the bill was postponed due to Congress’s sharp divisions and unclear majority. Beeton said 13 different areas of funding and all but two bills were rolled up together in one appropriations bill, and Baldwin ensured that State Street funding would be included with the rest of the bill.

“She made sure that the funding put in through the initial process in the transportation cell was included in the omnibus bill,” Beeton said.

The bill became public law Feb. 20. Baldwin also secured $1 million in federal funding from the last fiscal year’s appropriations bill.

The $2 million will be spent on the first phase of construction in the spring of 2004, which would include the 100 and 200 block of State Street and the blocks around Overture, including Mifflin and Henry Street.

City planner Bill Fruhling said city officials may hire engineering consultants within the week, and they are currently tabulating the results of a survey to turn the 100 block of State Street into a walking mall, similar to the Library Mall.

Downtown Coordinating Committee Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the federal funding was crucial in the redesign steps already taken, with the previous $1 million already committed for the bus-shelter designs and construction drawings.

“Given the budget crisis, there is no way we could continue with State Street as any kind of budget priority,” Verveer said. “So it is critical we get secure outside funding. We cannot use city tax money to pay for all of the project.”

Verveer said the Overture Foundation and State Street property owners have agreed to cover a portion of the $32 million project.

Verveer said the results of the survey would be revealed in the coming weeks.

Another survey regards the potential State Street designs outside the Lisa Link Peace Park. Some of the streetlights have not been installed yet, but a survey to rate the designs is available at www.ci.madison.wi.us through the State Street Design link.