Texas Southern cracks down on altered grades

Texas Southern University fired two employees after a number of grades were illegally changed last month. Another employee resigned before action could be taken, and yet another employee is left suspended and pending investigation.

The grade changes took place in the registrar’s office. A worker allegedly accepted payments of up to $200 in exchange for altering one student’s grades, while some students paid nothing for similar adjustments. Ultimately, a total of 31 students received changes.

A routine check on the computerized grade system revealed the unauthorized alterations, in which a former employee apparently gained illegal access to the electronic system.

Christopher Dennard Pearson, former verification officer in the registrar’s office, is accused of tampering with the system and physically changing the grades. He resigned Feb. 5, before the university could take action.

Before the university discovered the changes, investigators claim, Dennard succeeded in making changes twice — once Jan. 7 and again Jan. 27.

Two other employees — Sherman C. Parker, a recruiter, and John E. Smith, a data-entry specialist — were fired because they were aware of the incidents. But investigators say there is no evidence suggesting they changed the grades themselves.

The university also suspended a fourth employee pending the investigation regarding his role.

Thus far the overall investigation has indicated no patterns involving a particular class, instructor or group of students involved in the situation. The students involved represented a cross-section of TSU’s undergraduate body.

“We’re not clear how it all came about or how they came in touch with the individual,” said LaChanda Jenkins, communications director for Texas Southern.

The university forced the students involved to withdraw from their classes and reinstated their original grades.

Subsequently, all but seven students came forward and admitted wrongdoing, and they were allowed to reenroll in their classes. Each participant must still appear before the university disciplinary committee.

Under university policy, punishment for cheating can include suspension or expulsion. However, students accused of cheating have the right to be reinstated pending an official hearing.

“We’re pretty proud of our response and catching the problem immediately,” Jenkins said. “We work hard to protect the integrity of this school.”

Unversity of Wisconsin students are expressing mixed feelings regarding the matter.

A UW junior who wishes to remain anonymous said that in many respects, cheating is an ingrained aspect of the educational process. In some forms, it is seen as helping a peer. Regardless, this does not justify academic misconduct.

“You either abolish the grade system or have to safeguard the advocacy of the system,” a UW junior said. “But if I could get away with it, I would do it.”

On the other hand, UW freshman Laura Sitzberger said there was no way she would spend any amount of money to change a grade. She said she wouldn’t get her grades changed, even if the opportunity arose.

“I wouldn’t do it because $200 is a whole lot of money and by changing your grade you’re not getting anything out of that class … especially if it’s for your major,” Sitzberger said. “Take the class over, get something out of it. You’re going to have to spend that money for the course anyway.”

Jenkins said this is the first grade-changing incident at Texas Southern. In response, the university plans to conduct system checks and audits more regularly.

The university has not yet decided whether to pursue criminal charges in response to the improper conduct, which is currently still under investigation.