Planners wonder if Overture will bring life back to Madison

Some Madison think tanks and urban development critics argue cities are dying as people build new lives in the suburbs. City planners hope the opening of the Overture Center next year will prove them wrong.

Overture Foundation member George Austin mentioned some Madison residents’ concern that the Overture Center could further clog Madison’s streets and parking ramps because parking downtown is already next to impossible. Austin said in response that most of the events occur in “off-peak” hours when offices are closed and there is not much competition for road space.

“A little congestion isn’t bad,” Austin said.

Capitol Neighborhoods Inc. Program Committee chair Ledell Zellers said she was relieved to hear that the largest theater in the Overture Center will be only slightly bigger than the Civic Center’s largest theater, so it may not increase traffic in the four residential neighborhoods surrounding State Street.

“I don’t know that it’s going to have a big impact,” Zellers said.

Department of Planning and Development director Mark Olinger said the rising property value of buildings on State Street is also a cause of concern since the independent entrepreneurs that contribute to State Street’s welcoming, diverse environment may be forced to close their businesses and be replaced by national chains.

Austin said that national chains moving to State Street is unlikely because the small size of most storefronts are unattractive to national chains; she noted that The Gap bought three fronts in order to open its store.

Olinger said the property values of buildings on State Street shot up 24 percent in 2002. This dramatic increase could greatly impact the vitality of State Street businesses, but Olinger said the conception of several other retail streets throughout Madison creates more opportunities for independent business owners.

Olinger also said future downtown planning for the city of Madison began 30 years ago and that the various theaters and museums downtown have created an “arts corridor.” He said he hopes the Overture Center will truly establish downtown Madison as the state’s tourism center.

“Of all the things central cities struggle for, I think Madison is blessed,” Olinger said.

Austin described the Overture Center as a “focal point for an emerging cultural arts district” that will allow downtown Madison to remain the cultural center for the state and compete successfully with the city’s peripheral growth.

Enclosing seven performance theaters, four galleries and a renovated Madison Art Center, Austin said the Overture Center’s design unites the visual and performing arts.

“There isn’t a facility like this anywhere else in the country,” Austin said.

Austin said the Overture Center would make arts a major element in the central business district by attracting Madison residents as well as people from around the country and the world. He also said the Overture Center will support adjacent businesses and encourage employment opportunities while creating safer areas for leisure time activities.

According to Austin, the Overture Center will also have a positive impact on students because various University of Wisconsin arts departments and members of the administration were involved in its planning.

“The nature of the spaces means there will be more venues for student projects from art-related departments,” Austin said.