Dane County takes stand against war in Iraq

Although international anti-war protests and lagging U.N. support have not deterred the Bush administration’s efforts to launch a preemptive strike against Iraq, the Dane County Board of Supervisors is confident that its resolution against the war with Iraq will be very influential.

Dane County is among the 100 other counties nationwide who have signed similar resolutions. The resolutions will be presented to White House staff within the next week.

Resolution 270 emphasizes the fact that a war with Iraq would cost the United States an estimated $200 billion, money that could be spent to “provide vital family, security and community services in states and counties,” according to the resolution.

Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk said this issue should be Wisconsin’s first priority.

“Protecting families and jobs must take precedence over a war with Iraq,” Falk said. “The U.S. needs to explore every peaceable means to disarm Iraq.”

Dane County Supervisor John Hendrick will be among those who will travel to Washington, D.C., for the presentation of the resolutions.

“We had 80 citizens, including veterans and prisoners of war, turn out in support of the resolution,” Hendrick said. “People are concerned about the many Dane County residents who have already (been) and possibly will be called to war.”

When asked whether this resolution would undermine the nation’s current military efforts or the efforts of U.N. weapons inspectors, Hendrick noted the difference between supporting soldiers and supporting war.

“We will support the troops regardless. We feel the best way to support them is to bring them home,” Hendrick said.

Peace Coalition representative Barbara Smith also expressed her disgust with the war effort.

“The U.S. doesn’t just launch preemptive strikes,” Smith said. “It’s very disturbing to think that the government is even considering it.”

Ald. Steve Holtzman, District 19, who normally does not support Dane County or Madison city resolutions on national issues, believes that this resolution is an exception, because Madison residents are and will be directly affected by a war with Iraq.

“This community has a history of raising awareness of national issues,” Holtzman said. “In the past it’s been clear that grassroots efforts such as this do make a difference.” Earlier this year, the Madison City Council signed a similar resolution against a war with Iraq.

In addition to the resolution’s presentation to the president and Congress, it will also be sent to Sens. Feingold and Kohl and to all members of the Wisconsin Congressional Delegation.