Freshman voice frustrations with enrollment technology

Despite the introduction of new enrollment technology, the University of Wisconsin’s online registration program once again had undergraduates expressing a familiar complaint this semester.

Some students believe enrolling for courses leaves much to be desired.

“Classes aren’t left open for freshman, and if they are there is not nearly enough spots,” UW freshman Alieen Strickland said. “It is a headache when you are trying to plan your schedule.”

One of the complaints voiced about the new web enrollment process was that while some freshman hunted for whatever class was left, many upperclassmen registered smoothly.

Frustrating as it may be, some freshmen seem to feel that they have always been on the bottom of the registration totem pole.

The old method of class enrollment was a touch-tone system where students would dial in to register for classes. By 2001, the updated “web-based” system was available to some students. However, the University did not make the registration process strictly online until fall of 2002.

Jim Ferris of the UW’s Communication Arts department felt web-enrollment ran smoothly.

“From where I stand, the online registration system seems to be working rather well,” Ferris said.

Ferris said that he had no problems communicating with personnel if he needed to open up extra seats in any of his classes.

“Web enrollment gives you a more secure feeling,” said UW senior Chris McGee. “To actually see transactions on the screen as they happen, as opposed to hearing it from a robot woman and then having to look on the computer afterwards, is much more efficient.”

The UW Registrar’s office anticipated students’ lack of comfort with the new system and set up a help hotline during the enrollment period. The hotline gives directions to university computer labs and access to personal assistance for students who have no computer access or are unable to use a computer. The Registrar’s office also set up a web enrollment booth on the first floor of the UW’s Peterson Building with help staff and computers.

Strickland had parting advice for those who feel they’re still on the last rung of the registration ladder.

“They tell you to wait and see which classes open up, but I think that if you really want or need a class you have to be a bit more aggressive than that,” Strickland said.