Students get by with less studying, survey shows

A study released Monday indicates students are beginning their freshman year at college having spent less time studying than recommended , but many are maintaining high grade-point averages.

It was found that 33.4 percent of college freshmen spent less than six hours a week studying and doing homework during their senior year in high school. This is the lowest recorded percentage in 15 years since the Higher Education Research Institute at the University of California at Los Angeles began keeping these records in 1987.

However, according to the same study, more than 45 percent of freshmen graduated high school with an “A” average.

University of Wisconsin freshman Carrie Campbell says she pulled her “A” average in high school with little studying; however, she says she now has to put in more time and effort to receive those same grades here at UW.

“I didn’t have to study as much as other people in high school,” Campbell said. “I study much more here than I ever have before.”

UW freshman Kim Brauer also put little time into her school work in high school.

“There were certain classes I always did my homework for, but beyond that I did as little as possible and still got good grades,” Brauer said. “I study more here because I feel like I should be earning my grades because I’m paying tuition.”

Brauer also said screwing up on tests at UW has more impact on her grades than it did in high school. “There is more pressure to do well,” she said.

Rob Sepich, a stress-management counselor at UW, noted that he wasn’t aware of a drop in studying at UW. He did say that a decrease in studying and an increase in grades doesn’t necessarily reflect laziness or grade inflation.

“Students are drawn between many conflicting demands in college,” Sepich said. “It is not a matter of laziness.”

He also expressed his belief that balance is the key to success.

“Having other involvements helps in being efficient,” Sepich said. “Being busy enough and involved enough where stress is more like energy is a good thing.”

Many students attribute the challenge of getting top marks at UW to the increase in distractions like weekend activities, organizations and tougher workloads. However, it was also noted in the study that 46.5 percent of freshman admitted drinking beer either frequently or occasionally over the past 12 months, compared to the high of 73.7 percent in 1982. Out of the freshman surveyed, 35.8 percent also reported attending no parties during an ordinary week at school.

However, Sepich expressed doubt in decreased partying at UW. UW was recently ranked 10th on the Princeton Review’s list of top party schools for 2003 and seventh on Playboy’s annual list.

Both Brauer and Campbell agreed that partying at UW has probably not decreased.

“I can’t really say partying has decreased ,” Brauer said. “Maybe they are just surveying different people who don’t go out as much.”