Family of murder victim searches for answers

The Dec. 9 murder of a 19-year-old woman from the town of Fitchburg is still under investigation. Her parents are pleading for information from anyone with any information about the case.

Police found Lizzette Fountain dead at her Traceway Drive apartment in the early morning Wednesday after her boyfriend called 911.

Fountain’s boyfriend was arrested on four outstanding warrants unrelated to the homicide, according to court documents.

One warrant was issued in March of 2000 for disorderly conduct, and the others consisted of traffic violations.

Details of the investigation are not released, but Fountain’s mother Marie said there are detectives in Fitchburg, Middleton and Madison working on the case following two strong leads.

She said over 3,000 fliers have already been distributed.

“I’m hoping that there’s even one person out there that thinks, ‘hmm,'” Marie said, requesting information for the investigation. “Any friends of hers, anyone that saw her out, if they heard anyone brag about something, any tips at all. Everything is important.”

Marie said she was informed Monday that Lizzette’s body would finally come home to be buried.

Marie said Lizzette had a beautiful voice, and CDs will be passed out at the funeral this weekend of her recordings. Funeral arrangements will be decided Tuesday, and Lizzette will be buried at Forest Hill Cemetery.

Lizzette always wanted to make a living out of her music, but it would never pay the bills, Marie said.

Lizzette was working two jobs at the time of her death in order to pay her own way to Madison Area Technical College, where she would study police science to become a parole officer. She planned to eventually transfer to the University of Wisconsin.

“She was known for her independent streak,” Marie said. “She was a free sprit, generous to a fault and could make you laugh so hard, because she was so forthright.”

Her spirit will be preserved for years in a mural to be painted by a friend of hers. Marie said the mural will be painted on the wall of a Laundromat on Park Street, clearly visible by all traveling south down Park Street toward the beltline.

Marie said the mural might be done within a week.

“This is so special to me, because we’ve lived in Madison all of our lives,” Marie said. “All the drivers will be able to see it, and I will always be able to see that tribute.”

Marie said her family has received a flood of support from the community, including from friends of Lizzette’s from as far away as Maine and California.

“There was no one in her life that would want to [harm] her,” Marie said. “That’s why we were so stunned.”

Fitchburg police chief Tom Blanter was unavailable for comment Monday.

To submit information to the investigation, call Crimestoppers at 270-4321 or 270-4300