Badgers to face Colorado in Alamo Bowl

The Wisconsin football team learned Sunday that it will play Big XII North champion Colorado in the Alamo Bowl Dec. 28. The Buffaloes, ranked No. 14 in both polls, had an opportunity to win the Big XII and make a BCS bowl but lost to Oklahoma 29-7 in the Big XII Championship Game Saturday.

The game will likely be a showcase for power running, as both teams prefer pounding the ball between the tackles to throwing it. Colorado (9-4, 7-1 Big XII) ranks seventh nationally in rushing yards per game, with 241.2, while the Badgers averaged 190 yards on the ground per contest.

The fortunes of Colorado could rest on the availability of tailback Chris Brown, who sat out the Big XII Championship Game with a bruised sternum. Brown, who is listed as probable, rushed for 1,744 yards and 18 touchdowns this season but has missed the Buffs’ last two games after injuring himself against Iowa State Nov. 16.

If Brown isn’t able to go, backup Bobby Purify, who also missed the Oklahoma game with an ankle sprain, is extremely effective if healthy, and Wisconsin native Brian Calhoun, who rushed for 122 yards against Oklahoma, has proved he can pick up big yards when called upon.

Wisconsin (7-6, 2-6 Big Ten) will counter Colorado’s run game with an extremely effective one of its own. Tailback Anthony Davis ran continually stronger as the season wore on, capping the year with a 301-yard performance in Wisconsin’s bowl-berth-clinching win over Minnesota.

“We feel the matchup between Colorado and Wisconsin will be an exciting one to watch, highlighted by two of the top running backs in the nation,” Alamo Bowl Chairperson Diane Rath said.

In the last meeting between the two teams, the Buffaloes defeated the Badgers 43-7 at Camp Randall. The Buffs lead the all-time series 4-0-1, with the tie coming in a classic 1965 matchup that ended in a 0-0 deadlock