Students face registration difficulties

Registration is in full swing, and significant numbers of students have begun to voice complaints about the university’s new, Internet-based system.

Although the University of Wisconsin switched to an exclusive web-enrollment system in August for the purpose of making registration more efficient and convenient, students have mixed feelings about the new system and the overall enrollment process.

At UW, undergraduate students with the most college credits have priority in choosing their courses. Because of this seniority system, underclassmen with the fewest college credits are often frustrated with the UW registration system.

Freshman Melissa Wesley said she is having trouble getting into the courses she wants. “I came into UW with only three credits, and because of that, I cannot register until Dec. 3. … Physics 109 and Human Sexuality are closed,” Wesley said.

Sophomore Jesslyn Kuekan said she spent hours tinkering with the registration system on her computer.

“It worked out — I just did not get into what I wanted to take this semester,” Kuekan said.

In early November, UW students received an e-mail from the Office of the Registrar stating the date and time of their online spring-enrollment session. However, many first-year students are unfamiliar with the UW Portal system and have expressed concern about the quickly approaching registration period.

Freshman Abbey Kraus said she does not know when to register. “I have no idea what to take or how to use online enrollment,” she said.

Despite the qualms of some freshmen, some older students said web enrollment is a good alternative to the old touch-tone phone system.

“The system is great. It is quick and easy to schedule classes,” said senior Eron Jones.

However, Jones also pointed out the registration problems faced by many transfer students.

“The only problem with the UW system is that it is based on class standing and many prerequisites, and as a transfer student, I have had trouble covering the breadth requirements needed for graduation. Many of these classes are only open to freshmen and sophomores,” Jones said. “I need to take all these basic classes and have no way of getting into them.”

At a university of 40,000 students, finding an effective way for each student to get into all their desired classes is a challenging task, according to Karen Hanson, assistant registrar for enrollment services. Hanson recommends students dissatisfied with course availability contact individual departments for further information.

Hanson believes the web program is a great improvement over the touchtone system.

“The online system is more visual, tied to the web timetable, and is updated every fifteen minutes,” she said.

To assist students, the Office of the Registrar has set up a hotline for students without computers, providing directions to university computer labs. Computer-illiterate students can also call the hotline for technical instructions.

In addition, a new information center has been set up in the lobby of Peterson Office Building, 750 University Ave., where students can use one of six computers to enroll and receive personal help from an Office of the Registrar employee.