Badger fans love to cheer

Besides the Badger win over Minnesota Saturday Wisconsin has had its share of disappointing losses this season. However, in the grimmest of situations, enthusiastic Badger fans seem to make every game rewarding.

On a typical football Saturday, students, alumni, and other University of Wisconsin aficionados spend a large portion of the day involved in various pre- and post-game activities involving drinking. In order to make the 11 a.m. kickoff, many fans wake up early to booze at local bars, frats or friends’ houses.

Over the Badgers’ long history, a handful of rituals and cheers have become a festive tradition.

Before each home game, the UW cheerleaders and the Red Squad help spread Badger Spirit around Madison. The day begins with a trip to the chancellor’s house on the official Bucky Wagon.

The Wagon Crew drives around downtown Madison, the Capitol, and around campus. The trip ends at Camp Randall, where the cheerleaders chant, “Let’s Go Red Peppers,” and each eat a red hot chili pepper.

During the actual game, the cheerleaders encourage a crowd of over 70,000 Badger fans. After the game, fans have the opportunity to learn the chicken dance and other cheers from the cheering squad and the marching band at the post-game show, the Fifth Quarter.

Student Badger fans said they love everything associated with the spirit of Wisconsin football.

Situated at a house party on Randall Avenue, UW Junior Mollie Firestone said she had passionate feelings about the game day atmosphere.

“I love the cheers, the hot dogs and the crazy drunken people. My favorite cheer is Varsity,” Firestone said.

UW junior Tom Haugun said his top priority is drinking before each game. “My favorite game day tradition is getting belligerently drunk at the Firehouse and not even making it to the game,” Haugun said.

Badger fans from all over the country claim the Madison football experience is like no other. Brian Rapp, a sophomore at UW-Milwaukee, said everyone should attend a Madison football game. “Wisconsin football is so much fun,” he said.

Chris Engel, a Minnesota native and a freshman at UW-La Crosse, described this weekend’s game as amazing.

“I have never seen anything like it,” Engel said. “Even though I support Minnesota, Badger fans know how to have a really good time.”

UW senior Tim Knisely said he wears the same pair of red-and-white striped underwear every game.

“They used to be my lucky pair, but I think their luck has run out since freshman year,” he said.