Fish moves from sports to facilities management

Chancellor John Wiley announced yesterday the selection of the university’s new associate vice chancellor for facilities planning and management, Alan R. Fish. Fish will start his position Jan. 9.

Fish has 23 years of experience with the University of Wisconsin and the state of Wisconsin. He has served as administrative officer and associate athletic director for UW’s Division of Intercollegiate Athletics.

As associate vice chancellor, Fish’s duties involve coordination and supervision of all facilities-management activities, such as budgeting, construction, maintenance and support services, safety and hazardous-materials management, parking and transportation, space management and energy conservation.

Fish will focus on managing of campus facilities, energy conservation and safety.

“Al has had much success overseeing some very high-profile projects on this campus, even when doing so in the public spotlight,” Wiley said. “I am pleased that he is taking on an expanded role in overseeing campus buildings and infrastructure.”

Bruce Braun formerly held the position. He was employed for seven years before his retirement in June. John Harrod has been serving as interim associate vice chancellor.

compiled from staff reports