KK is on the clock

The window to cut a deal with the city is closing for the Kollege Klub.

The Madison city attorney’s office filed a lawsuit against Bruce Meier, Kollege Klub’s owner, and Meier has until Monday, Nov. 17, to propose a plea bargain to the city attorney.

If a plea bargain is not made, there will be a revocation hearing for the Kollege Klub’s disorderly conduct Tuesday, Dec. 10, before the Alcohol License Review Committee.

Revocation hearings are not common for businesses in Madison, according to ALRC Chair Timothy Bruer.

“The last [revocation hearing] was four years ago,” he said.

It is uncertain as to whether or not Meier will plead before Monday, and the members of the ALRC are unable to give comments about the situation between Meier and the city attorney.

Due to assessment checks that the Madison Police Department has been completing over the past months, the University of Wisconsin trademark bar, Kollege Klub, may be facing serious problems including possible suspension or alcohol license revocation.

The assessment checks, titled “safer bars,” cross-referenced 50 local businesses that served alcohol, including hotels, restaurants, liquor stores and bars, to be certain that they were being responsible and respectful of the laws about alcohol and legal drinking age.

“The intent was to assess how the place is run,” said Sgt. Emil Quast, the police spokesperson at the ALRC. “[The police want] to see if something illegal is going on. It will be helpful [for the businesses] to run a better place.”

Before the Madison police assessed the businesses, letters were sent to each one to explain the process and the criteria “checklist” that the police were in search of, but the businesses were not told when the assessment would take place.

“[The police] give them an evaluation of their business, not to catch them doing something wrong,” said Quast.

Madison police entered the Kollege Klub Feb. 6, more than eight months ago.

Over the years, the popular Madison bar has become famous among students both from the university as well as from other colleges. Its reputation among students is that of a fun, relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere.

“[The Kollege Klub] has been around for long time,” said Stacy Seiberlich, a UW sophomore. “It’s really fun, and they play good music.”

The Madison Police Department recognized the Kollege Klub’s reputation and suspected that many of its customers were drinking illegally.

“I think all of the bars do this; it is sad that [Kollege Klub] was picked out,” said Seiberlich.