Madison firefighter charged in hit-and-run

Matt Scherling

City editor

A Madison firefighter who was implicated in a drug scandal involving a downtown Madison bar in 2000 is once again in trouble with the law.

Joseph W. Reznikoff, who lives on West Washington Avenue, was charged Monday evening with operating a moving vehicle while intoxicated. The charge is Reznikoff’s third drunk-driving charge; the most recent was in February of 2000.

Madison Police responding to a report of a hit-and-run at the corner of West Washington Avenue and Henry Street were told by the victim that Reznikoff’s vehicle, a green Isuzu, struck her and drove on, according to a Madison police report.

The uninjured victim was able to copy down the vehicle’s license-plate information and a description of the driver, which she gave to police. Officers identified and arrested Reznikoff.

The incident is reminiscent of a similar situation involving the now non-existent Jocko’s bar. In 2000, Jocko’s owner, Bob Schuh, was convicted of distributing cocaine from the bar’s basement.

Out of the seven firefighters involved in the federal narcotics investigation, Reznikoff and another Madison firefighter, Dan Madden, were the only two to keep their jobs. While Fire Chief Debra Amesqua pushed for their removal, Reznikoff and Madden were instead demoted and suspended.

None of the seven firefighters were criminally charged following the raid. The Blue Velvet Lounge has since opened in place of Jocko’s, which closed soon after its owner was arrested and sent to prison.

Fire Station 1, in downtown Madison, was the drug scandal’s epicenter. The station, located on Dayton Street, is about four blocks from the former Jocko’s, the bar from which Reznikoff was accused of soliciting cocaine.

The department’s reputation has suffered as a result but underwent a renaissance in the aftermath of Sept 11.

“We’d go down State Street before Sept. 11 and guys would [wipe their noses at us],” Lt. Dave Cerqua said, referring to the fallout from the drug scandal. “It made me ashamed to be with the department. People would make jokes at family gatherings.”