Memorial Union renovations planned

Next fall, when the Memorial Union celebrates its 75th anniversary, the University of Wisconsin plans to release a master plan for renovations of the prominent campus building.

According to Rob Staude, president of the Wisconsin Union Directorate student-programming board, this endeavor will give the WUD an opportunity to consider the function of the Unions in student life.

“We need to reevaluate what our role in the campus is and play it as best we can,” Staude said.

The Unions have attempted to achieve this analysis through focus groups consisting of different portions of the student population, Staude explained.

Groups including student employees at the Unions, student leaders on campus and people who rarely use the resources the Unions offer should provide insight into needed renovations.

“We can’t accommodate the whole campus with two buildings,” Staude said. “However, we hope to get a clear image of what students want and make sure what they expect is what they’re getting.”

The renovation is part of a two and a half million-dollar plan to revamp the entire lakefront area. Drafting the new Union design will cost around $20,000, taken from the Unions’ yearly revenue; funding sources for the renovations has not been identified.