Hawk’s hopes to fill high-class niche on State Street

After agreeing to an unusual liquor license condition that requires Hawk’s Bar and Grill to stop serving alcohol one hour before bartime, the restaurant and bar will open at 425 State Street by the end of November.

In the former home of Cafeli and Ella’s Deli, Hawk’s hopes to serve customers a distinctive blend of high-quality food in a stylish yet comfortable atmosphere. Owner Hawk Schenkel says he is thrilled to add a new dimension to State Street that he believes is missing.

“There’s a lot of great ethnic-food restaurants on State Street, but I would like to be a place that serves upscale bar food,” Schenkel said. “Fresh salads, homemade soups, really good burgers and a variety of sandwiches — nothing fancy, but done well.”

Schenkel said he believes many bars do not try to promote their food because they focus on alcohol sales, but he wants to create a place where customers can count on exceptional bar and grill food and also a vibrant nightlife.

University of Wisconsin students seem eager to try Hawk’s food as well as experience its uncommon atmosphere. UW senior Noah Jubelirer says he believes Hawk’s will bring healthy competition to other State Street restaurants and add to the dynamic of Madison.

“It will mean great things for Madison insofar as the support of local business and the excitement of new life on State Street,” he said.

Because it is located in the campus-area, Hawk’s liquor license faced extra scrutiny.

After several conditions were placed on the license — Hawk’s must stop serving alcohol one hour before bar time every night — the liquor license received unanimous support from both the city’s Alcohol License Review Committee and the City Council.

Despite the controversy surrounding Hawk’s capacity to serve alcohol, city officials and other bar owners on State Street say they are excited for Hawk’s to be a part of Madison.

“I think Hawk’s will be a great addition to State Street,” said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4. “Personally, I think [Schenkel] is a great guy, and I know it’s been his dream for many, many years to open his own campus-area business. I’m glad his dream will become a reality in a couple weeks.”

Jim Huss, owner of The Plaza Bar and Grill, said he is confident Hawk’s will help State Street without affecting other local establishments.

“I think in the long run there’s plenty of room for all of us. They’ll get their crowd, and we’ll get ours,” Huss said. “If it’s a nicely run place, it could do nothing but help improve the area.”

Schenkel is originally from Madison and his extensive restaurant experience includes managing Amy’s Café and Bar and serving at Café Continental. He said he chose to open his own restaurant in Madison because he believes he knows Madison’s market and has a sense of what State Street needs.

“I want to create a nice place on State Street with good music, good food and where people can relax,” he said. “I truly think people will be pleasantly surprised.”