District attorney investigates Doyle bribe accusations

The Kenosha County district attorney said he is investigating allegations that gubernatorial candidate Jim Doyle bribed residents of a Kenosha hotel with money, soda and food.

WTMJ-TV in Milwaukee reported Tuesday that Doyle campaign workers held a bingo party for Dayton residents with free soda, coffee and kringle, as well as small monetary prizes for the game. According to the report, residents were told they could vote in another room after the games were over.

Some residents of the Dayton Residential Health Facility are mentally disabled and vote with absentee ballots.

Wisconsin law prohibits candidates from giving people anything worth more than $1 to try to get them to vote or keep them from voting.

Kenosha district attorney Robert Jambois said he is looking into the total value of the bingo prizes and food.

The report also stated that Doyle campaign staff member Angela Arrington was on hand to answer questions about how to request an absentee. Suspicions arose after she refused to appear on camera, which representatives from the Democratic Party said is normal for any campaign staff for either party.

The Democratic Party of Wisconsin said it is investigating the allegations and will fully cooperate with any action taken by the DA or the Elections Board.

Doyle’s representatives have denied the allegations.