Students understanding about Evans not returning

It is official: Lee Evans will not be playing this season. While students have been questioning the return of Evans all season, most believe the general welfare of Evans takes precedent over whether or not he plays for the cardinal and white.

Doctors said Monday that Evans’ knee needs more time to heal, and students are taking it in stride.

“His knee was practically destroyed last spring,” said University of Wisconsin-Madison junior Ryan Luedpke. “If he can’t play, then he really can’t play. It’s not really up to us to decide.”

Evans decided to return for his senior season instead of entering the NFL draft, only to tear his anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during a spring scrimmage game.

Last season, Evans set a Big Ten record with 1,545 yards receiving.

“He was obviously disappointed, but I think he understood it is in his best interests to just wait a little longer, just let it heal better,” Alvarez said. “A month ago, I thought he was close to playing. I saw what he did in practice.”

The amount of time Evans remains on the sideline is determined by a number of factors. The severity of the injury is the most critical consideration. Whether the ACL tear is accompanied by any additional injuries, such as a medial collateral ligament tear or a meniscal tear, is also important.

The initial tear is accompanied by swelling, and many athletes can function without problems if they had only a partial tear. According to the website www.JointHealing.com, a majority of people “will notice instability — the feeling that their lower leg is shifting forward on their thigh bone.”

“I wish he’d play, but I’m sure the doctors know what’s best,” said UW junior Anne Marie Koehn. “I’m sure the team could really use his help.”

Evans was hoping to return for the Badger’s Big Ten opener, but Coach Barry Alvarez said Evans continues to experience soreness in the knee.

Evans has been practicing with the team, and at times Alvarez said he believed Evans would play on game day, but the condition of his injury changes the decision of playing on a day-to-day basis.

Evans has made no decision about his future.

“I’m kind of disappointed,” said UW junior Brian Becker. “I wish he would be back, but he’s got his NFL career ahead of him and a couple of college games wouldn’t be worth jeopardizing that.”

–The Associated Press contributed to this report