Stadium overhaul a ‘go’

After an eight-month hiatus, Camp Randall renovations are back on track, University of Wisconsin officials said Wednesday.

Thanks to a gift of $10 million from prominent Milwaukee family the Kellners, the project, years in the making, will begin construction this spring.

The renovation, estimated at $83.7 million, will address safety concerns, failing infrastructure, improved customer service and accessibility issues.

Built in 1917, Camp Randall is the fourth-oldest college-owned football stadium in the country.

The original decision to delay came after unexpected state-budget cuts and increased security needs after Sept. 11. During the months of delay, the original plan was re-designed, cutting over $20 million.

The Kellners will allocate $6 million of the donation to the stadium renovation; the rest will go towards educational programs yet to be determined. Ted Kellner said they are interested in allocating the money to the schools of education, business and humanities.

The family has a long history at UW and has since made millions in business, which they attribute to their alma mater.

“Dad instilled good values in Jack and myself, many of which relate back to the University of Wisconsin,” Ted Kellner said.

Wiley called the family “good friends to the campus.”

“They’ve been extremely generous,” he said.

Head football coach Barry Alvarez said the renovation is an important signal to other schools.

“It’s very meaningful to stay up with our competition,” he said. “It sends a strong message that there is a commitment to athletics [at UW].”

The renovations will include a new video scoreboard, new concession stands and larger restroom capacities. In addition, some of the bottom seats with poor views will be removed and more upper seats will be added.

“The only regret we have in removing those seats is that we won’t be able to sell them to Michigan fans for full price,” said Al Fish, associate athletic director for capital projects.

The rest of the funding comes from smaller gifts from UW fans and alumni. Chancellor John Wiley emphasized that the university is not pulling money from any other area to fund the stadium.

“This project is resting on its own bottom,” he said. “It’s self-funded by fans and donors.”

The renovation still needs approval from the Board of Regents, who will consider it at their December 2002 meeting. Wiley indicated the regents will approve the plan.

“We’re quite confident we’re in a good position to go forward,” he said.

Wiley emphasized Camp Randall’s need for an overhaul as one of the country’s oldest college-owned stadiums.

“This is basically a renovation of the stadium that is very badly needed,” Wiley said. “Virtually every aspect of going to a football game will be improved.”