Students anxious for Halloween, still uncertain of celebration date

The days of October are slowly disappearing, and Halloween is creeping closer. However, many students are still wondering when the celebrations are taking place.

“I’ve heard it’s a very exciting time, but when is the whole thing going to be? The weekend before or the weekend after?” asked freshman Joe Zechlinski.

The Madison police officers said they believe most festivities will take place Thursday, the actual night of Halloween.

Many State Street businesses believe the second weekend will be the most popular, but also expect high numbers of people the weekend before.

The question is of particular importance to students inviting friends from out-of-town to experience the Halloween festivities and flooding of State Street.

“My roommate invited a bunch of his friends up for the weekend after,” Joe Zechlinski said.

Professors and community members are among those who come out and watch the huge gatherings on State Street. This year, Madison officials expect more than 60,000 people on State Street.

“I don’t plan on dressing up in a costume, but will definitely go watch the students,” said Ning Lin, a UW graduate student.