More government money for higher education

In spite of a struggling economy and a sizable budget deficit, America’s colleges and universities enjoyed a 10 percent increase in government grants in fiscal year 2002.

These grants, which typically fund research, facilities and programs, reached a grand total of $1.83 billion in 2002. The $169 million jump continued a six-year trend of such increases and has intensified the controversy surrounding “academic pork.”

The term “academic pork” derives from the governmental practice of pork-barrel appropriations, funds that are granted to benefit a specific group or locale by a politician whose primary concern is pleasing his/her constituents.

Therein lies the controversy. The figures for 2002 suggest those states with politicians in the right places secure an unfair amount of government money.

There are two kinds of grants: competitive grants and earmarks. Both grants are based on merit and
can be very difficult to attain, but earmarks are not as democratic and often depend on political influence.

The earmarks have caused a stir in the higher education community. Some feel the grants have reached an unhealthy level.

Harvard University associate professor David M. Hart said in an interview with The Chronicle of Higher Education, “I think some warning lights should be going off. It’s a worrisome number, and maybe a call to arms.”

The year’s largest single earmark was $20 million, which will fund Auburn University’s Center for Transportation Technology. Hart attributes the increase to a general lack of spending discipline.

The University of Wisconsin received government grants for several projects in 2002.

Dr. Margaret Dentine, associate dean for research at the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, explained, “most [grants] are not controlled by Congress. The majority are competitive grants.”

Applications for competitive grants are considered by “peer-review” panels, which are renowned for upholding the highest level of integrity.

Kerry Hill, communications coordinator for the UW School of Education, said, “researchers in the School of Education obtain grants through competitive processes for specific purposes, not as academic earmarks.”

Purposes for such grants that UW-Madison received in 2002 included $1.5 million for a health-care center, $190,000 for pest-control research and $200,000 for a program designed to prepare children for school.

Hill continued, “research projects conducted in the School [of Education] often involve collaboration with other universities and with public schools, with a strong emphasis on developing knowledge and resources for widespread use to improve the quality of education.”

The largest grant in Wisconsin was $19.69 million, which went to Northcentral Technical College for a building that will train those seeking health-care careers.