Doyle and McCallum participate in first debate

Leading gubernatorial candidates Jim Doyle and incumbent Gov. Scott McCallum discussed their platforms in a televised statewide debate Friday, sponsored by the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association Foundation.

The state Elections Board dismissed a claim that would have included libertarian Ed Thompson and independent Jim Young in the debate.

Josh Morby, media director for Ed Thompson’s campaign, claimed WBA violated the Political Action Committee law, which limits the amount of money groups can contribute to a political campaign, by contributing more than $43,218 of airtime to the two candidates.

WBA did not invite Young and Thompson because the candidates did not receive more than 6 percent of the vote in the primary elections, WBA Foundation President John Laabs said.

Laabs said the rule was created in August and all candidates were informed prior to the primaries.

The case was dismissed on the grounds that the Elections Board could not force WBA to include candidates.

“They didn’t have the authority to get Ed in the debate,” Morby said. “We were disappointed.”

The debate was televised on more than 13 television and 15 radio stations statewide. It provided citizens with the two leading candidates’ answers to questions regarding major issues like the state budget deficit and education. Doyle and McCallum described their platforms as well as criticized their opponents.

Doyle recognized the need for changes in the way the budget is handled and promises not to raise taxes.

“I am not going to raise taxes. I understand that we are not in this mess because the tax payers did not do their fair share,” Doyle said.

Friday, Doyle released suggestions for ways to cut spending throughout the state of Wisconsin.

When asked how to deal with the budget deficit, McCallum noted that he has cut spending in his last budget proposal and has shown that he can receive federal funds.

“I have the smallest increase in spending in 30 years in the budget I presented last go-around,” McCallum said.

On issues of education, McCallum said he supports the two-thirds funding given to the educational system. Two-thirds funding relates to the amount of money going towards education in the annual budget.

“I have supported our structure of two-thirds funding in Wisconsin. I believe we need the skills and the knowledge to be able to grow our economy and to create jobs,” McCallum said. “At the same time, I want accountability with the system to make sure when we expend the dollars that we know we are getting a good return.”

Doyle said he planned to reform the funding of the educational system.
“Education is a top priority–this is really is at the heart of what Wisconsin is all about,” Doyle said. “I believe that we need to have major reform in the way we finance education.”

Another debate will occur Oct. 16 and will feature the four gubernatorial candidates. The debate is sponsored by WisPolitics and the Western Wisconsin Press Club.