Southworth ruling called “Victory for free speech”

Student Services Finance Committee member Faith Kurtyka declared Tuesday a “day of victory for free speech” after a court ruling upheld the Associated Students of Madison’s control of student segregated fees.

Members of ASM and other University of Wisconsin student groups are triumphant in the aftermath of the ruling. Although the court’s decision will not affect the eligibility and funding processes student groups undergo to receive funding, it does validate the ideology underlying the processes. This ideology is based in the theory that students have the right and the capability to control a portion of the money they pay to the university.

This amount of control is especially important because it is unique to UW, according to Multicultural Student Coalition executive team member Theresa Vidaurri.

“It’s great that the court upheld ASM’s bylaws because we’re one of the only places in the nation that controls segregated fees and promotes student power,” Vidaurri said.

ASM’s court-sanctioned ability to allocate student fees is also important because it allows students an opportunity to see and participate in the results directly, said United Council president Jeff Pertl.

“Instead of just funding some research project or a new building, student money is funding groups that students can actively be a part of,” Pertl said.

When asked how student groups seeking funding will be affected by the resolution of the case, ASM members said the impact will be minimal.

“If anything, this will make it easier for student groups,” said ASM member David Presberry. “Now if a group feels it’s been discriminated against, it can appeal to the Student Judiciary and be ensured a viewpoint-neutral decision.”

Viduarri agreed that all student groups, not only those that represent minorities or extreme points of view, will be at an advantage under the current system.

Reacting to Scott Southworth’s initial charge that funding student groups whose ideology one does not share is a violation of free speech, ASM finance chair Rob Welygan referred to the famous “sifting and winnowing” statement inscribed on Bascom Hall.

“The idea is that through sifting and winnowing out different ideas, the cream will rise to the top and the best ideas will win out,” Welygan said. “The real beauty of the segregated-fee process is that we represent so many voices.”

According to Welygan, the system is not a violation of free speech, but an endorsement of free expression and a proponent of the “marketplace of ideas” a university should provide its students.
ASM member Carl Camacho summed up the sentiments of many student leaders when he said the court reaffirmed the validity of ASM’s power over segregated student fees and the organization’s ability to effectively distribute those fees for the betterment of the student body.