National pig-mobile porks around town

Instead of a mutt on wheels like Harry and Lloyd drove in the movie “Dumb and Dumber,” the group True Majority used a small procession of pig mobiles to emphasize its position on Iraq and national defense spending.

True Majority’s purpose is to “unite the true majority of America’s citizens who believe our nation should not attack Iraq.”

True Majority is traveling around the country trying to bring attention to its position. Wednesday, the group reached Madison in a convoy of vehicles outfitted to appear like pigs.

The cars vary in size and “depict Washington’s mixed-up budget priorities.” The largest car represents the Pentagon and defense spending. The smallest of the three represents world hunger. Another vehicle sports a tree on its roof that can spring to life to emphasize the need for environmental sustainability. Behind the tree trails an RV, a “roving billboard covered with a banner that states: ‘Earth to Bush: Don’t Attack Iraq.'”

True Majority also distributed a number of pens with messages that can be pulled out from the pen itself. One side of the pullout lists U.S. defense spending at $343 billion and spending on efforts to combat world hunger at $1 billion. On the flipside, the pullout reflects an international view. It says the United States and its allies spent $548 billion on military spending, much more than any other country spent.