Congressional candidate speaks to UW Republicans

Congressional candidate Ron Greer jumped over controversial issues at his campaign kickoff Tuesday night at the College Republicans meeting while giving the young audience an extensive view into his troubled past.

Greer, challenging Tammy Baldwin’s congressional seat, said he was born the second of seven children into a hard-working yet poverty-stricken family in the small town of Denmark, Tenn.

However, Greer spent the majority of his childhood living in the projects of Milwaukee after his family picked up and followed his mother in her pursuit of a better living.

Greer described his move to Wisconsin as a “culture shock.”

Greer was in fights daily and said he set a record for the number of suspensions in the fourth grade.

However, he now chuckles about his past, calling it the beginning of his violent nature.

After joining the U.S. Marine Corps. at the age of 17, Greer assaulted a superior officer after being confronted for dressing out of uniform and having a poor attitude.

“I was ready to kill the world,” Greer said during his speech Tuesday. This aggression, caused by racial hatred and his strong opinions, landed him 18 months of hard labor in Fort Leavenworth.

Prison marked Greer’s turning point, where he said he began to pursue God and was brought back to the values he was originally raised under. These strong views now drive his campaign and guide his life as a devout Christian.

Greer said he prides himself on being completely set apart from the views of his opponent, incumbent Tammy Baldwin. Their stances on taxes, national defense, health care, social security and abortion all differ drastically.

The dream act, which concerns immigrant students who would be granted in-state tuition fees for college regardless of their citizenship status, and the U.S. military position in Iraq were specifically brought up during his speech.

Greer argued with audience members and stated his opposition to the dream act. He said he believes the dream act is illegal and by supporting it he would be “rewarding illegal activity.”

Greer fully supports the military’s position in Iraq and Bush’s military actions. However, Greer spoke of his disapproval of homosexuality.

“I don’t accept homosexuality as natural. It is detrimental to society and the person who practices it,” said Greer, who strongly opposes same-sex marriages.

Greer also commented on his pro-life views. He said he believes abortion should be illegal or heavily regulated, which is in direct opposition to Baldwin’s pro-choice stance. Greer said he does not find anything radical about any of his views; he claims they are biblically based.

Greer said he aims to serve people and bring fairness to the federal level of government, and some college students agree.

“Greer supports the war on terrorism, and most students feel the same way he does,” said Anthony Greer, the head of Students for Greer. “Students want someone in Washington who is going to support our president and our troops. Students don’t want a career politician, which Greer is not.”