Explosives found in student’s dorm room at U. Montana

MISSOULA, Mont. (U-WIRE) A University of Montana student was arrested late Wednesday night after public safety officers found explosives inside his Jesse Hall dorm room.

Dereck Stairs, a sophomore in computer technology, has been charged with felony possession of explosives.

According to court documents, public-safety officers found a large prescription bottle filled with gunpowder, primer blasting caps and matchstick heads in the microwave of Stairs’ fifth-floor room. The bottle cap had a small hole drilled into it and a three-inch fuse sitting next to it.

Ron Brunell, director of residence life, said this is the most disturbing incident to happen in the dorms this year and one of the worst in the 15 years he has been in his position.

Two resident assistants called public safety after they saw Stairs, 20, walk into Jesse Hall carrying an electric cord with exposed wires and what appeared to be shotgun shells or dynamite, according to the court affidavit.

When officers Scott Oak and Paul Kelly went to Stairs’ room to speak to the suspect, according to court records, he admitted that the explosive device was his and he made it by tearing apart shotgun shells, putting the gunpowder and primers into the bottle and then adding matchsticks.

Ken Willett, director of public safety, said after Stairs was arrested he was turned over to the Missoula Police Department.

Along with Stairs, another suspect was detained, questioned and released, Willett said.

Stairs, who is being held in Missoula County Jail, appeared Thursday on closed-circuit television in justice court for his initial arraignment.

No plea or sentence will be sought until Oct. 10, when Stairs will appear in district court for his preliminary hearing.

The penalty for possession of explosives is up to 20 years in prison and a $50,000 fine.

Stairs, unshaven and in an orange jumpsuit, showed little expression as Judge William Fulbright read him his rights.

His bail was set for $5,000.

Fulbright ordered Stairs to remain in Missoula County until his hearing ends. Stairs is also prohibited from carrying a weapon, including ammunition, and is restricted from all property owned by UM.

Stairs said in court that he moved to Montana from Prescott, Wash., in 1999 and that his mother lives in Clinton.

Brunell said he met Monday with Jesse Hall staff to speak with them about the situation.

“We talked with all of them,” Brunell said, “Because we wanted to be very aggressive in terms of making sure the safety and welfare of our students were protected.”