Report: Americans need to exercise more

With obesity a looming problem in American health, more drastic measures are needed for Americans to stay healthy. According to a new report from Texas A&M University, it is necessary to exercise for a full hour each day — up from the previously recommended half-hour per day.

This is the first time an exercise requirement has been added to dietary advice. The study, headed by Joanne R. Lupton, included setting new ranges for the intake of fat, protein and carbohydrates.

Government advisors avoided setting strict limits on intake of these key ingredients, pointing instead to healthy ranges for each. Previously, guidelines called for 50 percent or more of calories to come from carbohydrates, while 30 percent or less of calories should come from fat.

However, researchers now point to the fact that since fats, carbohydrates and protein can all serve the same ends, they must be considered together.

“We established ranges for fat, carbohydrates and protein because they must be considered together,” said Lupton.

However, not everyone agrees with the study, the methods of which are questionable.

“[The researchers] surveyed those at ideal fitness levels. I don’t think it’s been helpful. It seems like a backwards way of doing it. I’m not sure it’s necessary as long as people exercise for some time each day,” said Nancy Fuller, physician and clinical assistant professor. “People should focus more on diet — healthy proportions and staying off fast food.”

Other problems, some beyond the scope of the study, could also mislead the public.

“Ranges were set because there are different schools of thought [regarding] nutrition. The traditional food pyramid is not based on science. I’d recommend increased focus on lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. This way, people can choose [a more individualized] diet. This is better.”

However, the study shows hope for the future, according to Fuller.

“It is indicative that people are trying to reverse the trend [toward greater obesity],” said Fuller.

Students had varying reactions to the study. Many said they felt simply walking across campus each day was enough exercise. Others believed the campus was very active and healthy. Some also had questions about the logic behind the study.

“I don’t even hit half (an) hour a day, so I don’t think it matters. The only exercise I get is biking to classes and walking around,” sophomore Mike Pfohl said.

“I think that it depends on how much you eat. If you eat like 10 meals a day, you should exercise more, but if you don’t, you shouldn’t have to exercise as much,” sophomore Monte Knetter said.

“I exercise a little bit, and it’s for an hour. It seems kind of pointless to only exercise for half an hour,” sophomore Katherine Marsh said.