Student raped at Madison’s West High School

A sixteen-year-old student was arrested and charged with raping a fellow classmate in a secluded stairwell Monday at Madison West High School, police said.

Upon returning to school Wednesday, the victim, also 16 years old, was beaten in a hallway of the high school, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

Madison School District spokesperson Joe Quick vowed to evaluate the security of Madison’s schools.

“We plan to walk through [West High] and look for areas that might be dangerous,” Quick said.

Quick did stress, however, that maintaining the safety of every student is no easy task, despite the constant presence of two security guards on campus during school hours

“There are 2,000 students at West High School,” Quick said. “It is impossible to keep an eye on everyone.”

The alleged rapist was arrested Tuesday at his home and charged with second-degree sexual assault. The boy has since been readmitted to juvenile jail, the Ethan Allen School in Wales, Wis., where he had served time in February 2001 for stealing a car, Dane County juvenile court administrator Jim Moeser told the Wisconsin State Journal.

The boy’s sister, also a student at West, is being sought for questioning by the Madison police in connection with the victim’s beating Wednesday, after which the victim filed a complaint of battery.

“Contrary to reports that this incident is gang-related, the Madison Police Department has not been able to substantiate that information and believes this is an isolated incident,” Larry Kamholz said in a statement issued by the Madison Public Information Office.

West High principal Loren J. Rathert sent a letter home with students Wednesday to inform their parents that a student at the high school had been sexually assaulted on school grounds and that counselors would be on hand to talk to students disturbed by the week’s incidents.

“We will be examining access to all hallways, corridors, stairwells and elevators,” the letter stated. “Lighting, security cameras, and building supervision are being reviewed and changes will be implemented.”

The issue of safety in Madison public schools has been addressed in recent years, according to Quick.

“We did a review of all the high schools and placed cameras in areas where we felt they would be best utilized,” Quick said.

School officials acknowledge the stairwell is one of many isolated areas of the school not currently under videotape surveillance.

The school has explored the placement of warning systems at various points in the school that would alert school officials when someone enters an area of low human traffic, Quick said.