Women’s soccer falls to Marquette; Conway breaks UW saves mark

The Wisconsin women’s soccer team lost to Marquette, 1-0, Tuesday night in Milwaukee. The Badgers fall to 3-3-1, while the Golden Eagles improve to 5-1.

“We did not finish the chances we had,” head coach Dean Duerst said. “We played very well, but somebody needs to lead us and score a goal. I am proud in how we played but disappointed in our inability to finish.”

The Badgers took a 0-0 tie into the second half, but MU found a way to finish in the 61st minute. Marquette capitalized on a cross from Kristin Halley that Kate Gordon shot on net. UW’s senior co-captain Kelly Conway made the save, but the ball rebounded off her and Ashley Spakowitz sent it home for the winning score.

Frosh Marisa Brown, who scored two goals against Davidson Sunday, gave the Badgers their best scoring opportunity in the first half, while sophomore Molly Meuer tallied a shot on goal in the second. Playing their third game in five days, the Badgers lost some energy in the second half, Duerst admitted.

“Fatigue was a factor in our team a little today,” Duerst said. “But [Marquette] is a good team; credit goes to them.”
Senior co-captain Kelly Conway made five saves on the night to become UW’s career saves leader with 313, surpassing Heather Taggart’s 310.
“There are strong similarities between Kelly and Heather,” Duerst said. “Their approach in training to prepare themselves to be consistent goaltenders, intensity, focus — and when it’s match day, they’re very focused. Hats off to [Kelly], following in the footsteps [of Heather], who really was an awesome keeper for the UW program.”
The Badgers open the Big Ten season on the road this weekend in the state of Indiana. UW faces the Hoosiers Friday at 7 p.m. and Purdue Sunday at 1 p.m.
— compiled from staff reports