McGee attends arraignment via phone

The key player in the investigation of the UW-basketball recruit charged with sexual assault this summer did not make it to the alleged assaulter’s arraignment Tuesday.

A prosecutor from the district attorney’s office, the defendant’s attorney, and Judge Paul Higginbotham were all present for Marcetteaus McGee’s arraignment, but McGee himself was elsewhere.

Linked to his arraignment via telephone from his parents’ house in Chicago, McGee entered pleas of not guilty to counts of second-degree sexual assault, a felony and interference in the reporting of a misdemeanor.

McGee, 18, was arrested July 25 at the Towers residence hall, 502 N. Frances St., where he had allegedly had sex with a woman from Milwaukee while she was sleeping and then attempted to dissuade her from calling the police. McGee was released from jail July 29 on bond and had a preliminary hearing Aug. 13. His trial is scheduled to commence Nov. 7.

The victim said she woke up to find McGee, whom she recognized, having sex with her, according to a police report. She tried to push him away, but he was too big, the victim said in her report.

If convicted, McGee could serve a maximum of 30 years in jail.

According to the victim’s statement, McGee said, “Please don’t do this. You’re going to mess up my scholarship. I’m going to get in trouble.”

She contends he grabbed her wrist to prevent her from using the phone to call police.

“We will urge Marcetteaus to continue cooperating fully with the law enforcement officials as they conduct their investigation,” Ryan said in a statement released shortly after the incident. “As the legal process plays out, we will continue to confer with our athletic department administration and campus officials to determine what action, if any, our basketball staff might take.”

A highly touted point-guard from Farrugut High School in Chicago, McGee signed with UW basketball coach Bo Ryan in April. McGee’s status both on the team and in the classroom is in jeopardy.

It remains unclear whether McGee, who was in Chicago on the first day of fall semester classes, is still enrolled at UW.