Cadwallader solidifies position as grad school dean

After serving as interim dean of the UW-Madison Graduate School, Martin Cadwallader was chosen by Chancellor John Wiley to undertake the dean position on a long-term basis.

Jo Handelsman, chair of the committee that chose the dean finalists, approved of Wiley’s decision.

“[Cadwallader] is an excellent scholar and a deeply committed teacher,” Handelsman said. “He makes decisions carefully after deep deliberation.”

Handelsman said Cadwallader is well qualified to deal with the financial challenges of the position.

“It will take nimble leadership to navigate the fiscal side of the job, and Martin has that,” Handelsman said.

Cadwallader also has the drive to act upon diversity issues on campus, according to Handelsman.

“He works on diversity issues with great dedication,” said Handelsman. “They are constantly foremost in his mind.”

Cadwallader said recruiting students of color to UW would be among his priorities.

“I’d like to have more graduate students of color in order to diversify the campus,” Cadwallader said.

One challenge he identified was maintaining high standards of quality in students and education.

“In order to recruit top grad students, we need to be able to offer them financial packages and support,” said Cadwallader.

Despite the impending challenges, Cadwallader expressed enthusiasm about continuing his work as dean.

“I’m both excited and rather humbled to be appointed as graduate dean,” Cadwallader said. “I really enjoy interacting with all my colleagues on the campus, as well as the students.”