UW calls back students set to study in India

Ten University of Wisconsin students learned the morning of their departure for India that their summer study abroad would be cancelled. UW suspended the 10-week program after the U.S. State Department warned traveling Americans of the potential for new violence in the India-Pakistan dispute.

The students were scheduled to participate in the program from June 1 to Aug. 8 in the south-Indian city of Thiravananthapuram. UW’s International Academic Programs was coordinating the trip, and is now working with the participants and their families.

“Our top priority is the safety of our students,” said Joan Raducha, International Academic Programs director. “After careful consideration, we felt this was the most prudent course in light of the current situation.”

The State Department issues the warning May 31, recommending that Americans “defer travel to India,” and urged “American citizens currently in India to depart the country” citing serious tension on the India-Pakistan border and the possibility of military conflict between the countries.

The university said staff will continue to monitor the situation in order to make decisions on future India programs, including planned academic-year studies in Madurai and Varanasi. All the students missing out on the summer program will be reimbursed for fees they paid UW.

— compiled from staff reports