Conference Committee discusses wasting deer disease

Conference committee members met Tuesday to debate a bi-partisan bill for the state’s $1.1 billion budget deficit. After meeting for more than four hours, the committee agreed to spend $4 million to test Wisconsin deer for chronic wasting disease.

The money will go to the state’s Department of Natural Resources and will give the agency the ability to regulate the feeding of wild animals. Wildlife officials said this prevention plan will halt the spread of the disease to deer and elk.

The plan will allow the DNR and other officials to shoot infected deer from roads and helicopters in areas where infected deer have been found throughout the summer.

Gov. Scott McCallum said in a release the deer are an important part of Wisconsin. McCallum also unveiled plans to call a special session in the Legislature to discuss dealing with the disease.

“Getting a handle on and appropriately managing this animal health crisis is crucial. It is not a political issue; it is a cultural and a health issue,” McCallum said. “Therefore, it is my expectation that we can address this issue in a relatively short timeframe and then return to negotiations to pass a budget and get it on my desk immediately.”

McCallum said the budget bill he sent in January did not raise taxes or cut K-12 education and that the state is suffering by waiting for the committee to make a decision.

“I want a balanced budget on my desk that I can sign.”

A spokeswoman for Assembly Majority Leader Steve Foti, R-Oconomowoc, said the conference committee only discussed the chronic waste syndrome found in deer and some pharmaceutical issues.

Sens. Dale Schultz, R-Richland Center, and James Baumgart, D- Sheboygan, said they felt it was important for lawmakers to act quickly to combat chronic wasting disease.

“We should not risk waiting until budget differences are settled,” said Schultz. “That is why Senator Baumgart and I call upon Gov. McCallum to take CWD up in a special session.”

Sen. Gary George, D-Milwaukee, criticized the lack of leadership shown by other candidates is threatening Wisconsin’s deer population.

“It is not just the deer population which is endangered here,” George said. “It is the economic backbone of many parts of our state. While communities throughout Wisconsin are concerned, we find two legislative leaders who are paralyzed by partisan politics in the budget conference committee.”

George called for more leadership in the committee.

“It is clear that the leadership we need must be found now. The governor must call a special session of the Legislature to deal with the appropriation of $4.5 million to help control the spread of this disease. That $4.5 million will pale in comparison to the economic damage done if our deer hunt is wiped out.”

The eight committee members agreed to take $2 million from the DNR’s wildlife damage program for herd monitoring and sampling, equipment, supplies, travel and staff costs, but the agency must draft a plan for managing the disease before asking for the additional $2 million from the Joint Finance Committee.

The committee will reconvene at 10 a.m. Thursday.