Biggest, most dangerous crowd since ’96 riot hits Mifflin

The largest crowd in six years partied on porches, balconies, in backyards and on the street and sidewalks during the traditional Mifflin Street block party Saturday.

The Madison Police Department estimated 5,000 people showed up for the party, but other city officials have estimated over 10,000 attendants — the largest since the party turned into a riot in 1996.

“It was a little crazy by the end of the night,” Mifflin Street resident and UW-Madison sophomore Sara Labanowsky said. “I was upstairs on my balcony and I didn’t know anyone there. I think they were all there just because we had beer.”

Some say good weather was to blame for the increased crowd at this year’s party, which began Saturday morning and continued until early Sunday. It rained last year.

But with the increased crowd came an increase in problems. Police issued a record number of citations at the event, including 17 liquor violations, two physical arrests, and one ticket for disorderly conduct, although Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said most citations were given to non-students.

“[Saturday] was an unfortunate high point in terms of arrests and citations issued because of the large crowd size,” Verveer said. “But a good chunk of those arrested and issued citations were downtown chronic alcoholics looking for free liquor.”

In fact, Verveer said he was not aware that any resident of the street received a citation Saturday.

“I heard nothing but praise from the cops about Mifflin residents,” Verveer said. “They said they were the most co-operative residents they’ve seen.”

Four people were taken to detox, and police handled two reports of sexual assault during the party.

A male partier fell off a balcony onto a gravel driveway on the 500 block and was transported to UW Hospital with unknown injuries.

Verveer said he was with the victim after the fall and reported he was able to move most his limbs and say his name.

“He appears to be okay,” Verveer said.

Towards the end of the night, police officers nervously watched as a mob of people gathered around a house on the 500 block of the street.

“Mobs of people were surrounding a house where a girl was supposedly taking off her shirt,” Mifflin Street resident Helen Brietenbach said. “That got a little out of control.”

Noticing that one of the porch balconies in front of the mob was unstable, officers quickly moved in to get all partiers off the porch.

Despite the large crowd and increase in problems, Verveer said the party was an overall success.

“It was very chill,” he said. “The residents were cooperative overall, and most people had a good time.”