Capitol expenses rising as Assembly offers campaign finance plan

Amidst deliberations within the state?s joint conference committee to solve the state?s $1.1 billion budget deficit, lawmakers are being criticized for racking up large expense accounts.

From mid-day snacks to miscellaneous travel expenses, the 132 state lawmakers billed taxpayers for $2.1 million in expenses last year.

Wisconsin?s Department of Administration records say the cost of running the state Legislature has jumped 8.7 percent in the first nine months of this fiscal year, compared to last year.

Lawmakers can bill the state for trips to and from their homes, around the state trips, and even out-of-state trips.

According to an analysis by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, figures compiled by both the Senate and the Assembly clerks show expenses repaid come to about $15,900 in personal expenses to each lawmaker — what amounts to 36 percent of a lawmaker?s base salary, $44,233.

One veteran legislator told the Journal Sentinel that it is common knowledge that lawmakers, ?come to the Capitol every day, look around and go back home.? The days of long session schedules or multiple meetings are calculated alongside these days of virtually no work, at $88 in personal expenses per weekday.

?I think it is appalling,? he said. ?They are jacking up their salaries.?

State Sen. David Zien, R-Eau Claire, reported driving 63,818 miles on official business, mostly on his motorcycle. Zien collected more than $19,000 in mileage, which is the equivalent of $1,619 in monthly car payments, according to the Journal Sentinel.

Sen. Chuck Chvala, D-Madison, billed taxpayers for out-of-town trips to places such as: Honolulu, San Francisco, Santa Fe and Hilton Head. These trips have cost the state $9,358.

Rep. Sheldon Wasserman, D-Milwaukee, uses less state money than most lawmakers by cutting costs. Wasserman, who takes the bus to work, requested $6,461 in personal expenses.

Wasserman said he was surprised that the Legislature was spending 8.7 percent more this year than last year.

?We don?t make cuts on ourselves . . . it?s always someone else?s backyard, before you look in your own,? he told the Sentinel. ?We?re given a great responsibility, of being in these elective offices. If people treat taxpayers? money like our own, we?d not be in our state budget crisis right now.?

Wasserman said he controls his own spending by working from home as much as possible and going to the Capital for full days when necessary.

?You have to treat taxpayers? money like your own,? he said. ?It should not be my money to blow.?

Assembly Republicans unveil new funding plan

Assembly Republicans announced Monday a 50-point plan for campaign finance reform. The plan includes rules for issue ads that would require out-of-state committees to comply with the state?s reporting requirements.

The state Assembly proposes to fund the plan with different income tax plans than Democrats have proposed.

Under this plan, no state grants would be used to match ?issue ad? spending, which is different from the Democrat?s plan. The plan also differs in that Republicans would allow candidates to raise additional money to match spending by independent lobbyist groups.

Republicans would allow for income tax check-offs to be increased from $1 to $5 per person. This would also change the tax liability that stands under current law. But lawmakers say this change would make a nonrefundable $5 per person tax credit for full-time Wisconsin residents.

Taxpayers would be given the option of sending their money to a specific party or to a general fund.

The Assembly plan would also prohibit federal candidates from donating to state candidates, and state committees from donating to federal candidates. The plan prohibits contributions to incumbent partisan state elected officials until the state budget deficit is enacted.

Fundraising events would be restricted in Dane County while the Legislature is in session. The plan would also triple the amount of money a political party could receive from a committee.

The plan is expected to be discussed at the conference committee hearing today.