State sues phone company

Wisconsin Attorney General Jim Doyle filed a lawsuit Wednesday against AT&T Corp. New York. The suit claims the telecommunications provider’s contract with Wisconsin residents violates state laws.

The lawsuit, filed in Dane County Circuit Court, claims AT&T’s contract includes provisions allowing it to change the rate for intrastate residential long-distance service without providing at least 25 days notice to consumers. This practice is barred under Wisconsin state statute.

Doyle said AT&T is applying New York laws, where the company is based, to the customer-service agreements instead of Wisconsin law.

The suit also alleges the contract restricts consumers’ rights to seek class-action relief they are entitled to under Wisconsin law.

“Long-distance companies, like other companies that operate within our state, must comply with Wisconsin’s consumer-protection laws,” Doyle said. “Wisconsin consumers are entitled to all the right and remedies afforded by our law, and this lawsuit seeks to protect the rights of the consumers of this state.”

The suit seeks forfeitures for the alleged violations and a court order preventing AT&T from violating Wisconsin’s consumer-protection laws.

AT&T was not available for comment.

Before the deregulation of telecommunications companies, the long-distance subscriptions and agreements were controlled by tariffs that were filed with state and federal agencies.

Since August 2001, AT&T and other long-distance companies have been required to provide customers with agreements.