Peace coalition rallies in DC

The Madison Area Peace Coalition is sending two busloads of students to Washington, D.C. this weekend to participate in a rally with the National Campus Anti-War Network.

Hundreds of campuses from across the nation will come together to protest U.S. actions in Afghanistan. Ben Collins, the group’s spokesman, said the United States needs to stop using military action.

“Violence begets more violence and it encourages a never-ending cycle of violence,” he said.

One bus leaves campus Thursday and another Friday to participate in the rally on Capitol Hill Saturday.

Instead of fighting, Collins said the United States should focus efforts on humanitarian aid.

“We don’t condone terrorist acts, but we feel we need to use a police action rather than a unilateral force,” he said. “We feel we need to use other means to solve this problem. What we’re doing is just encouraging more war.”

The rally will be held in conjunction with a protest of the International Monetary Fund, whose conference is being held Saturday afternoon.

“We want to bring these issues to the forefront and get people to think about things,” Collins said.