Norwegian ambassador addresses transatlantic relations

Norwegian Ambassador Knut Vollebaek addressed UW-Madison students and community members Tuesday morning.

The ambassador, who spoke about post-Sept. 11 transatlantic relations has held a distinguished career in diplomacy, one that might be expected from an ambassador hailing from Norway — a country that has earned acclaim for its role as a global peacemaker.

Lack of a powerful military and no relative economic clout on the world stage has allowed Norwegian officials access in negotiations where a superpower might not be welcome, according to Niels Ingwersen, the chairman of the Scandinavian Studies Department.

“Norway plays an interesting role in international diplomacy because they are without a hidden agenda,” Ingwersen said. “It is these types of countries who often act as the peacemakers in resolving conflicts where other countries like the United States may struggle. Ambassador Vollebaek has acted as mediator in many of these types of situations.”

Vollebaek has also served as Norway’s foreign minister, and as chairman to the Organization for Security and Cooperation OSCE, where he played a key role in resolution of the war in the Balkans, monitored the Chechnya conflict, as well as previous attempts at peace talks between Israelis and Palestinians.

Accepting his new role as Norwegian Ambassador to the United States, Vollebaek has found himself embroiled in a new brand of diplomacy after the Sept. 11 attacks — maintaining relations and solidarity between the United States and its European allies while fighting international terrorism.

“I would say that the terrible attacks of Sept. 11 created almost an entirely new platform for international cooperation,” Vollebaek said. “Never before has the international community been so united in fighting a common security threat.”

The ambassador also indicated support of the U.S. military effort following the attacks but warned that long-term success would require a multi-lateral effort requiring international cooperation.

“We are in agreement on both sides of the Atlantic that military action was necessary, but it is also agreed that terrorism and public support for terrorism cannot be eliminated by means of military action alone,” Vollebaek said. “Terrorists know no borders, and terrorism can therefore be successfully fought only with international cooperation.”

Reluctant to criticize U.S. policy following the terrorist attacks, Vollebaek did refer to “nuances” between European policy and that of the United States, emphasizing the concern of Europeans who feel the U.S. is engaging itself in unilateralism at the expense of traditional transatlantic collaboration.

“The question is not if terrorism should be fought, but rather, what is the best way to root out terrorism,” Vollebaek said. “It seems to me that Europeans may be more appropriate on the long-term perspective, while the U.S. is directing its main efforts towards eliminating the immediate threat of terrorism.”