ALRC to consider drink special ban tonight

Students, city residents and tavern owners are set to square off with Madison’s Alcohol License Review Committee tonight when a subcommittee report on the future of downtown alcohol issues is presented to the committee.

The sub-committee on Comprehensive Alcohol Issues was created in the summer of 2001 to examine and combat the effects downtown area binge drinking.

The committee’s report recommends the alteration of city policy regarding drink specials in the downtown area.

Subcommittee and ALRC chair Ald. Tim Bruer, District 14, said tonight’s meeting will continue the dialogue regarding the future of downtown and student drinking.

“We’re gonna hear loud and clear from the industry, the student community and the university,” he said. “I think we all understand the nature of the problems, but there really hasn’t been an effort to reach out and bring all the players together. I think the ALRC has really found itself in the middle of the debate since this issue has clearly landed on our doorstep.”

However, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said Bruer and the committee are seeking to take action beyond dialogue.

“My understanding is that the chair of the subcommittee on downtown alcohol is interested in the ALRC adopting the subcommittees report at Wednesday night’s ALRC meeting,” he said. “Frankly while it’s a nice idea, as someone who represents the downtown area, I feel it is necessary that we do this very carefully and I’m not as interested in rushing it through.”

Verveer said some members want to debate the report in the ALRC and the full council before students leave campus after finals. The full council may debate the subcommittee’s recommendations in its May 7 meeting.

Local tavern owners are set to protest any decision the ALRC or other city commissions may take to infringe upon their ability to operate autonomous of greater local regulation.

“Downtown bars and restaurants do not live and die by their drink specials . . . its just an incentive to get people in the door,” said Ross Johnson, owner of State Street Brats, 603 State Street. “We pay utilities and property taxes 24/7 to generate traffic, we have a desire to have people as many hours a day as possible. A lot people try to run a happy hour, and people try to run specials on the weekdays. Certainly if you were to call people at the business school pretty much every business runs deals, and I don’t see the city trying to regulate the price of milk.”

Other issues to be discussed at the meeting include the liquor-license applications of new local tavern owners.

The Living Room, 529 University Ave., is being bought out and its name changed to Vintage Spirits. Owners Mark and Trent Kraemer are seeking an operating license.

Also, on property purchased by Eric Fleming at 202 W. Gorham, across from the Plaza Tavern and Grill, 319 N. Henry, a yet-to-be-named bar and restaurant is seeking approval for a license to operate.

The ownership of Riley’s Wines of the World, 402 W. Gorham St., may be changing from husband to wife, since the owner pleaded guilty in February to IRS tax evasion. Jongyean Lee is applying for liquor licenses for Riley’s and Church Key Liquor, 626 University Ave., but Verveer said action might be delayed.

“The committee will also consider a license transfer from the current owner of Riley’s, but there is a decent shot we will delay acting on this for a month to get more information,” he said.