Escalating violence, federal criticism prompts Wisconsin Democrats to criticize Bush policy moves

Some politicians from Wisconsin believe the Bush administration is not doing enough to halt violence in the Middle East.

Bush has received widespread criticism for abandoning the intensive peace process undertaken by the Clinton administration. In recent weeks, the escalating violence in the Middle East has forced the Bush administration to take action. Bush demanded Thursday that Israel pull back its troops from the Palestinian cities it occupied in recent days and called for Arab states to take more counter-terrorism measures.

According to Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, the Bush administration needs to take an active involvement in the region much like the Clinton administration did.

“I think he ought to be more active and take a lesson from past presidents like Clinton, who tried his best to bring the two together,” Risser said. “Both parties have some responsibility. Both realize that the U.S. has quite a bit of clout. It appears that there will have to be some sort of diplomatic solution.”

Rep. Frank Boyle, D-Superior, said the recent attacks are a result of what he interprets as the Bush administration’s lack of interest and policy in the region.

“The entire situation exploded after Bush stole the presidency. Bush had no policy,” Boyle said. “At least Clinton kept a lid on the situation by constantly bringing the Palestinians and Israel to the table. Absolutely nothing was done when Bush came in.”

In a less partisan critique, U.S. Rep. Ron Kind, D-Wis., said involvement is key to solving the peace process.

“When Arafat backed out, it left a vacuum in the peace process. This leaves two possible resolutions,” Kind said. “We could re-institute a new peace process or turn our back on them. It appears Bush [left the peace plan]. I think this is a test for Arafat.”

In a move designed to step up involvement in the peace process, Bush is sending Secretary of State Colin Powell to the region in an effort to broker a peace deal. Like Bush, Powell has also been under attack for his role in the region, Kind said.

“Powell is constrained in what policies he can institute. I’m glad to see that he is being sent into the region,” Kind said.

U.S. Rep. Tom Barret, D-Wis., agrees. He believes Bush’s sending of Powell to the region is a step in the right direction.

“I strongly support Secretary of State Colin Powell’s upcoming trip to the Middle East,” he said. “His mission to broker a cease-fire and open a dialogue on diplomatic agreements such as the Tenet and Mitchell plans is a pivotal first step in securing peace in the region.”

Boyle, a northern Wisconsin Democrat, also said the war in Israel may have spread to the United States. He made this case by pointing out a particular interview he heard on public radio the day of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, which associated contemporary Middle East violence with the hijackings.

“The amazing thing is that right after the New York bombings, about an hour later on public radio, they had nobody to interview,” Boyle said. “Somehow they got Norman Schwarzkopf on there and asked him to guess who he thought was responsible for the bombings. He said he didn’t know, but was 90 percent sure it was an offshoot of the Palestinian-Israeli struggle and I don’t doubt that.”

The criticism of the Bush administration’s recent policy runs largely along party lines. Just as many Democrats are critical of the current communications strategies, Republicans — both nationally and locally — are largely supportive of Bush.

For example, Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said he believes Bush is doing all he can.
“I think the Clinton administration did everything it could to resolve this and I frankly think the Bush administration is trying everything it knows,” McConnell said on CNN’s “Late Edition.”