Anti-ad group challenges UW consumers

Speakers from Adbusters, an internationally known magazine, discussed their philosophies and design ideas in the Humanities building Thursday, March 20.

Adbusters say they promote free speech and are social critics interested in combating the influence of corporate advertising on the consumer.

They have an international readership with a circulation of 15,000, though they stress the importance of their website in spreading their message.

Collaboration between the UW-Madison law school and art department made it possible for the nonprofit, Canadian-based, reader-supported magazine to visit.

Adbusters began their challenge of corporate marketing techniques with spoof ads and non-commercials in 1989.

They also sponsor various campaigns such as TV Turn-off Week, Buy Nothing Day, and World Car Free Day.

“A lot of people don’t know how they are being marketed,” said Mike Simons, creative director of Adbusters. “We are trying to make people aware of what’s being marketed to them and how it’s being marketed.”

Most widely known for their spoof ads and non-commercials, Adbusters has shifted their focus in the last few years to examine different kinds of topics such as environmental, media and political topics.

“We’ve moved a bit more towards critiquing larger issues — issues that are very difficult to talk about, ones most magazines don’t talk about,” said Paul Shoebridge, art director of Adbusters.

Though the magazine is based in Canada, many of the issues involve themes dealing with American culture.

The magazine gains a lot of respect from international countries because of the North American counter-culture message, said Simons.

“We are Canadians, but we react against the North American culture to indicate to the United States that is where it’s coming from, very strongly, and pretty overwhelmingly,” Simons said.

Adbusters said they try to raise social consciousness of readers and appeal to artists and designers as well by delivering their message in an artistic and creative fashion.

One way they do this is by defying the conventional use of grids and structure to get a more emotional response, and challenge other artists to do the same, said Shoebridge.

Adbusters’ critique of large corporations sometimes causes trouble, but they do not worry about the legal ramifications and do not have a legal department said Simons.

“We usually feel we are on the right side and the companies do as well, though they always threaten,” Simons said.