State Dems promise to reduce cuts, fight for students

The cries of students rallying at the Capitol Wednesday appear to have been heard by state lawmakers, who vowed to regain some of the millions cut in funding from UW System schools.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Chvala, D-Madison, wrote a letter to UW System president Katharine Lyall pledging the Senate Democrats’ support for UW’s financial situation. He and Sen. Mark Meyer, chair of the Senate Universities, Housing and Government Operations Committee, said they will exclude the $100 million in cuts added by Assembly Republicans to Gov. Scott McCallum’s state budget-deficit bill.

The UW System has suspended enrollment of new students for the fall because the universities are uncertain about their ability to sufficiently meet to needs of students.

“Over $100 million in cuts to state funding for the University of Wisconsin is a disaster for the state, our economy and students who want to continue their education at the UW,” Chvala said. “The cuts are unacceptable, shortsighted and will not be part of any final budget package. I hope the Senate Democrats’ commitment to the UW will allow for at least a ‘thaw’ of the current enrollment freeze.”

McCallum supported the Assembly’s budget package and advocates the legislature passing the budget expediently.

“I have had productive meetings with mayors and local officials the past two weeks, and I will continue to work with legislators, local elected officials and University of Wisconsin System leaders in the next step in the process,” he said last week.

A series of public hearings are planned at UW schools within the next week in order for legislators to get student input.

As part of the governor’s plan, UW System would face $50 million in cuts. Assembly Republicans piled an additional $58 million — a total budget cut of $108 million.

Meyer said the university is an integral part of the state’s economy by creating jobs and raising income.

Lyall agreed, and said UW is deeply integrated into the state’s economy, making the system budget of more dire concern to the Senate.

“We realize that enrollment cuts and associated cuts in our workforce will be very damaging not only to campuses but to their local communities as well,” Lyall said.

UW Systems said 80 percent of resident graduates of UW schools stay and work in Wisconsin. Of nonresident graduate, 25 percent stay and work. This, they say, would equal $270 million in total revenue loss for the local economy.

Cuts to the budget and an admissions freeze have come following a 10 percent increase in admissions applications.

“At a time when we are looking to jump start our economy, raise incomes in Wisconsin and reverse ‘brain drain’ it is simply bad public policy to propose devastating cuts to an area that will help us to reach these goals,” Meyer said. “It is critical for us to do what it takes to maintain the quality and accessibility of the University of Wisconsin.”